Sunday, September 29, 2013

Get Started

"The best way to get ahead is to get started."
-Matt Bush, Google

Last week was Social Media Week, and luckily I was in a city that participated.  I was also fortunate enough to have been able to win a VIP Pass, courtesy of EngageSciences.  Basically, the week was filled with events, workshops, and keynotes all about social media and how to take advantage of it.

My experience with Social Media Week didn't start out so great.  When I went to pick up my VIP Pass, they couldn't find it for me.  The staff spent about 10 minutes looking, told me they weren't printing any more, then told me to come back tomorrow.  Okay... The next day I went to pick up my pass, and it still wasn't there!  They offered to make me one, but there were no blank VIP passes left.  Instead, I got a Press Pass, which I was told was essentially the same thing.  I was actually okay with that; it made me feel more important than a regular VIP.

One of my favorite events was the Google Keynote.  I woke up early on Thursday morning to go see this one, and I'm really glad I did.  After sitting down and breaking a plastic chair (it was the chair's fault, promise), I settled in with my Press Pass and notebook and attentively listened.  Matt Bush, the speaker, was funny, quirky, and extremely intelligent.  He came on stage wearing Google Glass (how cool is that?!), and authored the quote for today's blog post.  My favorite quote however has to be this one:



Social media has definitely played a huge part in advancing relationships between people, real or virtually.  With the technology stripped away, social media is really about social.  That aspect of getting to know someone, whether it be an individual or a brand, has only been enhanced by the technology; the connection still has to be organic.

As a Millennial, I think I know everything there is to know about social media, so it was eye-opening to hear from experts in the field.  Even though technology has created this form of connecting without even having to leave your house, it's important to remember that it doesn't mean anything if you don't engage.



Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment