Sunday, October 27, 2013

A Magical Game

"Soccer is a magical game."
-David Beckham


Excuse me, Mr. Beckham, but I think you meant to say football.  Sidney and I went to the Arsenal v. Dortmund game the other night.  For my first soccer (football, whatever, #MURICA) game, I was pretty excited.


Empty...

 The stadium itself was quite large.  I'm used to baseball stadiums (well, Yankee Stadium) which holds about 10,000 less people than Emirates Stadium, but also I understand the layout of a soccer field is completely different to that of a baseball field.  I was still shocked by how huge it was.


My future husbands running toward me
 We watched the warm ups for a while before the game actually started.  When it did, I stood up in confusion as I watched the players stand while some kind of anthem or theme song played over the speakers.  Sidney had also never been to Emirates Stadium, so we didn't know any of the Arsenal songs to chant along to.

...and full!
I still can't fathom how many people can fit into this stadium.  It's almost overwhelming, but the largeness and the closeness makes for a good atmosphere when watching the game.  And since it was my first soccer game, I was all about that team pride!

Arsenal scored, and soon after it was half time.  One of the perks of having Club Seats at Emirates Stadium is that during half time, there are free drinks!

:O
When we entered the Club floor lounge, my jaw literally dropped.  But I guess serving free alcohol in stadiums is a British thing.  That would never, ever happen at Yankee Stadium... but all the better for Sidney and I, who ditched our diets that night.

Even though Arsenal lost, the game was fun to watch.  It's interesting being part of a different atmosphere than the sport I'm used to.  These soccer games unite people, and even sometimes countries, to rise together as a community.  I absolutely loved it.



Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment