Saturday, October 19, 2013

Infuriating At Times

"The BBC can be infuriating at times but I love it with a passion."
-John Sweeney

About a week and a half ago, NYU London organized a tour of the BBC House for us.  I have a secret obsession with news channels like CNN (anyone who doesn't have a major crush on Anderson Cooper is just wrong) and the BBC, and it's always been a dream to see how everything is run behind the scenes.  Although we didn't get to see the studios, we got to see the brand new BBC building, as well as the old one.

Easiest way to stand out as a tourist?
Wear a badge around your neck.
The new BBC building was just completed this year, and a lot of the architecture features glass (very Stern-like).  It's supposed to be symbolic of BBC's commitment to openness and transparency with their audience.  I quite like the statement it makes.

#oldmeetsnew
Lately I've been very into the concept of "old meets new," so naturally I loved the integration of the old building with the new one.

The new building also has a really cool interactive news reporting station.  Of course, Sidney jumped on the opportunity.  She looks like a professional journalist, doesn't she?

Path to a Peabody?
Since it was raining and just not a good day in general weather-wise, Sidney, Kat, Alison, and I decided to do dinner and a movie night back home.  You know what's better than Mexican Monday?  Fiesta Friday!

Foodies, not fatties

I loved being able to see the BBC house, and luckily we had great tour guides who made the experience really fun.  (I may or may not have stolen some ear plugs along the way... but I needed a souvenir!)  Hopefully one day I'll be invited back to be on the news for something super important (POTUS circa 2036?).  Maybe next time I'll have a better looking badge.



Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment