Monday, October 7, 2013

A Margin Of Error

The results of a new study are out this week saying that New Jersey is one of the most livable states in the country. The study has a margin of error of 100 percent.
-Conan O'Brien

I have a secret... I'm actually from New Jersey.  Born and raised.  When people ask me where I'm from, I always respond with New York.  People just know it better, and it doesn't have the stigma that New Jersey has.  I don't get it.

Next present to myself...

I mean, I guess I kind of do get it.  New Jersey suburbs are stereotypically awful.  And don't even get me started on The Jersey Shore.  To be fair, I've always lived relatively close to New York City; we used to go in every weekend.  Growing up, I did stereotypical New Yorker things.  I avoided touristy areas, walked at a pace of about 10 mph, went to Jones Beach instead of the Jersey shore, and brunched on Sundays.  I remember sitting on the steps of the Met, eating a hog dog from a street cart, wishing I could be one of those "city kids" who wore red pants, Chuck Taylors, and a sequined fedora (I was twelve...).

Funny story, just to prove my point: Sidney had an alumni event for her alma mater in New York City last year, and she took me along.  Guess who else is an alumnus of her school?  Hugh Grant.  He asked me where I was from, and I said New York, then I admitted that I was actually from New Jersey.  He said, "well isn't that quite embarrassing?"  And I said "yes, yes it is."

NBD
But New Jersey's not that bad.  We have the Garden State Plaza.  And some notable residents.  And we have Taylor Ham.  Apparently, northern New Jerseyans are the only people who know what Taylor Ham is, so take that New York!  One thing we do better than you!  Eggs Benedict without Taylor Ham is just a travesty.  But I really am homesick for home, which is the great state of New Jersey.



Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment