Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Struggles Develop Your Strengths

"Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength."
-Arnold Schwarzenegger

It's no secret that I miss New York City.  This is a pretty typical conversation with my friends now:




We always joke about #firstworldproblems (eg the landscapers woke me up, or the elevator ride up to our 39th floor apartment is so long), but my friends and I also like to come up with struggles (which are almost the same thing).  Not being in New York is a serious struggle; please join me for a ride on the Struggle Bus.
#thestruggleisreal
International Econ Midterm
US Government Shutdown
The 175-step staircase
The fact that it's not Christmas yet

International Econ Midterm: This one is pretty self-explanatory.

midterm in two days + no studying = I should probably start studying

US Government Shutdown:  Good thing I'm in London... perfect timing!  But the only real reason this is a struggle to me is because this could potential affect the USD to GBP exchange rate.  

higher exchange rate = the less pounds I get for my dollar = less money = bad

The 175-step staircase: The Russell Square Underground Station, which is our stop, has three elevators (or lifts in British).  Currently, only two elevators will be working until March 2015.  This is a huge problem during rush hour (which is conveniently the same time as class), so Sidney and I usually opt to take the stairs instead of waiting 10 minutes for the elevator.  Unfortunately, the spiral staircase has 175 steps.

8:00 AM + 175 steps + spiral staircase = a tired and dizzy walk to class

The fact that it's not Christmas yet: Normally I am opposed to even mentioning Christmas before Thanksgiving, but this is a special circumstance.  I'll be home for Christmas, so I'm really looking forward to it.  I've been preparing by blasting Christmas music in my headphones and jamming/dancing with Sidney on the tube.

Christmas music + tube dancing = judging stares from strangers


So yes, I'm taking a ride on #thestruggle bus.  Apparently, I have too many struggles.  At least there's some pretty jamming music to help me get over them.



Rachel

P.S.  Shout out to Sidney for finding the Struggle Bus.

P. P. S.  Check out this blog post I did for Stern about my time abroad in London!  Feel free to follow my travels on there as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment