Sunday, October 6, 2013

Floating, Falling, Sweet Intoxication

“Floating, falling, sweet intoxication. Touch me, trust me, savor each sensation. Let the dream begin, let your darker side give in to the power of the music of the night.”
-Phantom of the Opera

On Thursday night, my friend's and I headed over to Her Majesty's Theatre in central London to see the Phantom of the Opera.  I got off the tube at Picadilly Circus, which is supposed to be the closest place London has to Times Square.  Considering it was past 7PM and stores were still open, I was impressed.

The infamous chandelier
The theatre is small and intimate, and our seats were on the second tier, so we were pretty close.  It just became difficult to get to our seats because the theatre was so small.  We had to climb over people every time we left and came back to our seats, which wasn't that often, but it was still difficult.

I'll probably regret this later...
Of course, I hadn't eaten dinner before we went to the theatre, so during intermission I bought a bunch of snacks.  I still find it weird that I'm allowed to eat inside theatres here in London.  That isn't even remotely allowed in New York.  I'm still not sure if I like it, but the theatres seem pretty clean regardless of people chomping down on chips (myself included).

The play itself was excellent, and I enjoyed it.  I definitely thought Wicked was better, but the two really cannot be compared.  They're two different kinds of musicals; Wicked's more bubbly while Phantom is darker.  The music and the orchestra were incredible, and Kat and I were singing Phantom songs the entire way back.



Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment